Treatment for cancer has side effects that women respond to differently. These side effects such as mood swings, memory loss, insomnia and or weight gain can cause many patients to see the situation , and the illness , as punishment and blame themselves; which is wrong and unhealthy for mental health. Some patients experienced post- traumatic stress disorder which can trigger dangerous feelings in them and it is best to talk to a doctor about it.
Cancer is stressful and scary so it is normal to be extra cautious or scared after it is treated. In many cases women fear of it returning which is normal. There are ways to calm down when this occurs:
• accept the emotions and talk about them.
Accepting fear is an important step to mentally improve. In this case talking to a licensed counselor may help.
• meditation and mindfulness can help reduce anxiety and stress and put patients in a better mindset before taking any further step.
• join support groups. Talking to people who are going through the same thing is a good experience to learn new things or help others which is sometimes soothing.
• healthy lifestyle which can include different eating and sleeping habits, exercising and staying mentally healthy.
• recognizing symptoms can also help to reduce stress to handle the situation better.
Remember there is always help provided, either face to face or by phone and your doctors are always ready to help you.